I didn’t get a chance to weigh in last week, so this weigh in period covers the past two weeks. In that time, I’ve made a few changes to my plans for recording body metrics.
First, I won’t be reporting a body fat percentage based on my Tanita scale’s Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA) method, because it’s not accurate enough for a man of my age, size, activity level, and current level of body composition. Instead, I’ve switched to using a suprailliac skin-fold caliper method (with flattering results, I might add).
Second, I am going to periodically (every 4 weeks, starting today) record measurements for the following body parts: shoulders and chest (girth), bicep, thigh, umbilical waistline.
|Weight Observed||Suprailliac Skinfold||Body Fat %||Fat Mass||Lean Mass||Umbilical||Bicep||Thigh||Shoulder/Chest|
|179.5 lbs||6 mm||11.5%||20.5 lbs||159 lbs||34 1/4″||12 3/8″||21 5/8″||46 3/16″|
Basically, I don’t have data to compare the measurements with, and since my body fat measurement method has changed, all previous data is incommensurate with these numbers. I’ll have to start fresh. What I do know is that I have, against my will, lost about 3-4 pounds in the past two to three weeks. I need to EAT MORE! That’s good news. I will be upping my carb intake over the next few weeks as I try to maintain my weight between 180–183 lbs.
I’d like to see continued improvement in the skinfold measurement numbers, but I don’t expect much change, to be honest. I think perhaps the other body measures might reveal some interesting changes. But I am going to hold off taking those measurements to once a month, since such changes tend to be slow.